Music and Memory® is a program that Vivage leadership feels very strongly about and as an organization, has contributed a substantial amount to this program to benefit residents who live in our Memory Care units. Music and Memory is a New York-based non-profit organization, dedicated to help people in nursing homes and other care organizations who suffer from a wide range of cognitive and physical challenges to find renewed meaning and connection in their lives through the gift of personalized music. Music and Memory’s work is rooted in extensive neuroscience research and has shown consistent results in care communities:
- Participants are happier and more social.
- Relationships among staff, participants and family deepen.
- Everyone benefits from a calmer, more supportive social environment.
- Staff regain valuable time previously lost to behavior management issues.
- There is growing evidence that a personalized music program gives professionals one more tool in their effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic medications.
Olivia Mogab, CTRS, Quality Improvement Specialist, Recreation and Leisure Services, is the Vivage corporate coordinator working to institute this program. Olivia partners with Vivage communities to engage staff in this enriching program and move the program forward by actively campaigning for radios, IPods, tape recorders and any other device that music can be played on. Vivage communities are also collaborating with family members to learn about music that their loved ones liked to listen to. Vivage is excited to bring this joyful program to our residents, families and staff. To learn more about Music & Memory’s incredible results, please go to https://youtu.be/fyZQf0p73QM.